The following is research concerning localized and regional paleontological topics. Some focus on fossilized creatures. These range from a phylum, all the way down to a particular species. Other are shorter articles about terms or methods used in paleontology.
Catalog of Research Pages
Posts on this website are typically smaller research focused on a particular find, coupled with photography. The pages linked below are more comprehensive, written on a particular topic. The process is evolving as more is written.
These are the most comprehensive articles. All of these contain references to other research that was used in constructing each manuscript.
- Aviculopinna & Meekopinna – Research on two local Pinnid genera.
- Petalodus – History of holotypes of named species.
- Solenochilus – Short history of the genus, with some local observations.
- Late Pennsylvanian Trilobites – Information on local trilobites from the Late Pennsylvanian / Carboniferous.
Regional Historic Finds
- Fedexia striegeli – A Pittsburgh area tetrapod discovery that was the third ever Pennsylvanian Trematopid recovered.
- Metacoceras – A visual overview of several specimens collected with the genus.
- Brachiopods – Broad overview on the phylum, Brachiopoda. Includes photos of local specimens.
- Steinkern – Description of this term.
- T-R Units – Units of time for allocyclic cycles. In simpler terms, why the local rocks are structured the way they are.
Articles that do not go into depth. These are portions of research on a particular specimen where the identification changed but the found facts are worth keeping.
- Bactrites – Misidentified a pinnid as being possibly Bactrites. Rather than throw away the research, I saved in on this page.